This might be the quickest post I’ll ever write. In a little over an hour, I am heading off to the airport for our big adventure in Japan! I’ll be posting plenty of photos of our trip on Instagram and will do a big post when I’m back, but I didn’t want to leave without quickly sharing this amazing mushroom lasagna.
I’ve been fiddling with vegetarian lasagna dishes for a while now, but this simple version with mushrooms is my absolute favorite. Rather than so many other vegetarian lasagnas, this one doesn’t get watery from frozen spinach (which I am very much not a fan of) or ricotta. I basically took my mom’s recipe–one of my favorites growing up–and subbed mushrooms for ground turkey. The mushrooms lend a great meaty texture to the lasagna, and the smooth tomato sauce pairs so well with all of that beautiful bubbling cheese. Who doesn’t love a classic lasagna?
My recipe below is more of a blueprint rather than a set of hard rules. First of all, I have just discovered the beauty of pre-cooked lasagna noodles. I had my doubts about them for a long time, but found them to be delicious and so easy to use. Secondly, my lasagna is on the petite side, since I recently broke my large baking dish and haven’t gotten around to buying a replacement. So you might need to adjust your baking time if you’re using traditional lasagna noodles, and you’ll need more of each ingredient if you’re making a larger lasagna.
This recipe is great for so many occasions, from cozy days when you want a hearty meal to having friends over for dinner. It also freezes up quite nicely. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
And if you have any recommendations for Tokyo or Kyoto, I would love to hear!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and dried
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz. can plain tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Small bunch of fresh basil, chopped
- 9 lasagna noodles (I use the oven-ready kind)
- 8 oz. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms and sautee for about five minutes, or until tender. Add the garlic and cook for about one more minute before adding the tomato sauce, salt, herb seasoning, red pepper flakes and basil. Let simmer for about five minutes.
- In a 9' by 9' baking dish, spread a thin layer of the tomato sauce onto the bottom of the dish (try to avoid adding any mushrooms to this layer).
- Place three of the lasagna sheets onto the layer of sauce. Add ⅓ of the mushroom sauce on top of the noodles, followed by ⅓ of the cheese. Repeat two more times (using 9 sheets total).
- Place aluminum foil over the baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and cook for 5 more minutes to allow the cheese to bubble up. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
*Note: feel free to use a marinara sauce of your choice instead of seasoning your own sauce (I like seasoning my own sauce since there is a lot of sugar in store-bought sauces).