Hello there! I’ve been itching to get back and post here for so long, but time is slipping away from me. A new job compounded by the short winter days means that I don’t have many opportunities to photograph the food I make (food photos look pretty terrible under artificial light – any blogger will understand this issue too well!), so I’m excited that I finally get to share this recipe with you. Now that I’m back in an office job, I’m trying to sort out my lunch game. There are a lot of great options near my office, but at $10 a pop, I’m aiming to bring in some packed lunches once in a while to balance things out. This Italian lentil salad with gorgonzola, sun-dried tomatoes and arugula is one of my favorite go-to options. Not only does it pack well, but it is far more interesting than your average packed sandwich. And since I’m never one to wake up any earlier than absolutely necessary, I like how I can make a big batch at the beginning of the week.
I realize I’ve got a lot of lentil recipes on OSK, but it’s because they are such a staple of my vegetarian diet. I love how filling and nutritious they are, and their versatility makes them a great base for a variety of flavors. This is my Italian take on lentils, with juicy sun-dried tomatoes, sharply flavored gorgonzola, and peppery arugula. It’s all tied together with a simple red wine vinaigrette, which brightens everything up. There a lot of delicious flavors going on in this salad; if I’m going to forego all of the fun lunch options by my office, then it’s got to be for something good!
Do you pack a lunch for work? What do you like to bring? I’d love to hear!
- 1 cup dried puy or black lentils
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
- ¼ cup gorgonzola or blue cheese crumbles
- 2 large handfuls arugula
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs (I used a mix with oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme and rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Pinch of salt
- Prepare the lentils according to the package directions.
- In the meantime, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Once the lentils have cooked, let them cool until they are at room temperature (otherwise the gorgonzola will melt)
- Once cooled, add the sun-dried tomatoes, gorgonzola, arugula, and dressing. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste.